Rhinoplasty Post-Op Tips For Better Recovery
We can’t choose the shape of the nose that we’d be born with. But then with Rhinoplasty we can. Nose job or rhinoplasty is a form of surgery that is unique to every person going through it. This surgery is used for different reasons: aesthetically, correction & reconstruction, and restoration of function.
Rhinoplasty incision are either inside the nose or at the base of the nose between the nostrils. The surgeon will access the nasal bone and cartilages and from there he will add tissue from other parts of the patient’s body (or fillers) or remove some bone and cartilages to achieve the client desired nose structure. After the incision has been closed, a splint is placed for support.
This procedure is performed with either local or general anesthesia. One night stay in the hospital is required though this procedure usually done as an outpatient procedure.
Like any procedures, smoking must be stopped 2 weeks prior the surgery to promote healing. Avoid certain medication that promote bleeding.
Most patients take about 3-4 days off after the rhinoplasty surgery but a week is a much better option.
• To reduce swelling and bleeding, head must be higher than chest while resting.
• Minor bleeding, appear of mucus and old blood are normal upon the removal of dressing. Drip pad may be provided but must be careful not to place it tightly against you’re new nose.
• Bruising and swelling around the eyes and nose. Cold compress may be used and prescribed pain medication.
Precautions after surgery:
• Avoid doing strenuous activities
• Don’t blow your nose
• Don’t strain when defecating. Straining puts pressure in the surgery are. So to avoid this Eat high-fiber foods.
• When brushing your teeth do it gently
• Avoid excessive facial expression
• For at least 4 weeks after rhinoplasty, don’t use any eyeglasses/sunglasses to avoid putting up pressure in your nose.
• Sunscreen is a must to avoid discoloration on the surgical site.
• Don’t use the shower when taking a bath a much better option is pail and dipper since the surgical site is still swelling.
Removal of splints is five to seven days after the procedure.
It’s a gradual process after rhinoplasty surgery , though you can see changes 2-3 weeks after surgery the swelling is normally stays for at least a year. You better be ready for the long wait because the greater your nose change equals to the longer your body recovers.
For up to a maximum of six months after your surgery you’ll feel numbness especially on the tip of your nose. This is normal, and you may also feel like it wasn’t your nose but you’ll adjust after few more months.
Rhinoplasty has risk, the usual such as infection, anesthesia complication, bleeding and specific like nasal blockage due to swelling of surgical site, injury of the nasal structure, and skin breakdown.
If you’re considering having a rhinoplasty, you must consider your age. Full development of our nose is at 15-18 yrs. old. Undergoing surgery at this time may result to complications.
The result of the rhinoplasty is permanent, though our nose change slightly as we age. Just avoid accidents that may lead you to constructing that nose again.
Watch On Youtube | Manila Rhinoplasty by The Renewed You Aesthetic